top of page

What are they talking about?

Adults use all sorts of words when they talk to you but you may not always understand what they are talking about. Below are some explanations.

Care Experienced

This is any adult who spent time in care as a child (i.e. under the age of 18). This care would have been approved by the state through a court order or on a voluntary basis. It can range from as little as a few months to as long as ones whole childhood (18 years). Such care could be in foster care, residential care (mainly children’s homes) or other arrangements outside the immediate or extended family.

The care could have been provided directly by the state (mainly through local authority social services departments) or by the voluntary or private sector (e.g. Barnardos, The Children’s Society and many others). It also includes a wide range of accommodation. For example, it would include secure units, approved schools, industrial schools and other institutions that have a more punitive element than mainstream foster or residential care (Care Leavers Association, 2014).

Care Plan

A care plan is written with you. It includes what your needs are whilst you are in care and what needs to be done to meet those needs.


Discretionary means you will not automatically get this. You will need to meet certain criteria.


CiCC stands for Children in Care Council.

This is a group of children and young people who are in care or are Care Leavers.

Health Assessment

When you come into care you will have a Health Assessment every 12 months. Sometimes this may be more often if needed.

A Health Assessment is a chance to meet and thing about your health and any needs you may have. This includes any of the following you may want to have support with:-

  • How you are feeling including if there is anything worrying you

  • Checking  your height + weight ….only if you want it checked

  • Basic contraceptive advice

  • Advise / information on sexual health

  • Chlamydia screening

After your Health Assessment, a Health Plan will be agreed with you if one is needed.

Health Plan

A Health Plan will be agreed with you after your Health Assessment. This will include actions  discussed and agreed with you) to make sure your health needs are met whilst you are in care.

The details of your Health assessment does not have to be shared with your social worker /carer or at your Review. The information shared on your plan will only be what you would be happy to have included.

No one needs to know about the details of your Health Assessment, or what is in your Health Plan if you don’t want them to, unless there are concerns about your safety or you being harmed in anyway.


An IRO is independent of Children’s Social Work Services. It is the IRO’s job to make sure that all the things that are agreed in your Care Plan are being done. They do this by holding regular REVIEW meetings with you and the people who care for you.


You may hear an Independent Visitor sometimes called an IV. This is someone who can take you out to do activities or other things you enjoy. They may also go to your meetings such your Reviews if you want them to.


CLA stands for Child/Children Looked After and is a term used by professionals for a child or young person who may be in care or a Care Leaver


Stands for Our Voice, Our Service and is the new name for the Solihull Children in Care Council. Young people thought of the name and voted for it.


Your placement is where you will live whilst you are in care and living away from your family.

Your placement maybe with foster carers or with other family members such as your grandparents. Sometimes children and young people may live in a Children’s home when it will be the best way to meet their needs.


All young people who are in care should have a Personal Education Plan (sometimes called a ‘PEP’), to make sure you get the education YOU need and that you get the best out of going to school.

There are different forms that will be filled in to help make sure you receive the education you need:

· PEP Information Leaflet



· Young Person’s Views KS3 KS4

· Carers Views


All Care Leavers aged 18 to 21 years will have a Personal Advisor –  known as a PA.

Your PA will keep in touch with you and be responsible for reviewing and updating your Pathway Plan.

Your PA will keep in touch with you every eight weeks, but more if this is needed. You can always contact your PA in between these contacts if you need advice and support. 

Once you are 21 years of age you will only have a PA if you are assessed as needing a service (this includes support and/or funding) from us.

Your PA will be able to offer support for employment, education and training, if you are assessed to need this, to enable you to access support after your 21st birthday up until your 25th birthday.


Your Review meeting is an opportunity to discuss what has happened since you came into care, how things have moved forward since your last Review meeting and to plan for the future.


UASC is a term used to describe an Unaccompanied Asylum Seeker Child.

Ultimately, a child who has come to the UK, alone or without their family to escape war or other persecution in their home country.

bottom of page